As we explore different categories of foams that are used for Low Clamping Force Seals in this blog series, we move to Closed Cell Neoprene and Sponge Blends. As stated in the previous post, closed cell materials do not allow moisture to pass through, making them good materials for general sealing and gasketing applications. Keep reading for additional features and benefits
Closed Cell Neoprene Sponge is comprised of 100% neoprene polymer. Neoprene is soft, flexible and durable. It resists breakdown by water and air.
Features and Benefits of Closed Cell Neoprene Sponge
- Resists light oil contact, ozone, alkalis and acids.
- Generally functional from -40°F to 158°F continuous and can withstand 200°F intermittently.
- Good choice for general enclosure door gasket
Closed Cell Sponge Blends are produced from a blend of neoprene, EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer)and SBR (Styrene-butadiene rubber).
Features and Benefits of Closed Cell Sponge Blends
- Functional down to -70°F without cracking due to cold embrittlement.
- Normally meets UL94HF-1 flammability requirements.
- Oil resistance not as good as 100% neoprene sponge products.
- Good choice for general purpose sponge gaskets.
Marian has years of experience manufacturing custom gaskets made of closed cell sponge. We stock many of these materials. We are happy to help you narrow down your options and provide samples.